Friday 25 September 2009

Never too young to play chess?!

Hiya All!
I have to confess that am STILL coughing for England and topping myself up nightly with Covonia sadly but it hasn't stopped me going to work thankfully!
I am now going to stop feeling sorry for myself and tell you what I have been doing with St. Hils today after I came home from work at lunch time, enjoyed some nice toast, marmite and cheese followed by a Marks and Spencers apple slice ALL washed down with a giant pot of tea (well of course!) followed by a well earned  snooze! (or should that be a "nano nap"!)

I am ALWAYS on the look out for little props for St. Hils and you would never guess how many things I have stored away in my little chest of drawers downstairs and small case which I keep for the storage of delicate things like my spider, Percy, butterfly, single daffodils in tiny pots made for me by my sister etc.
But there is always room for some more as stories evolve.

One of my more recent purchases is a little chess set which is great because it has a magnetic board......which has proved invaluable.  I also bought a monopoly board too but I now realise it is minus something quite important.................a DICE!  Never mind - I am sure I can work something out for that.  I am even considering printing out games myself as my printers are pretty good when it comes to miniature things as can be seen with the church guide etc.

And so..............today I finally plucked up the courage to open the little chess kit and check it out.  Ah........problem almost immediately hit me...................I was embarassed to realise I had completely forgotten the layout of the board.......arghhhhhhhhhhhhh  Now it is on these kinds of occasions that the internet is just indispensible.  I very quickly found out what the layout should be - fine.  However...........I had forgotten what each item looked like - ie bishop, king, queen etc.....again.......arghhhhhhhhhhh
I then figured out - does it really matter?  So I did my best - knowing that, at least, the pawns were all in the right place!

And anyway........we ARE dealing with children here.................and so.....if I have got it wrong - it is not my fault - it is THEIRS!  So here you can see my efforts!  I am not sure whether this will form a new page or not at this stage.  We have passed the time for a Summer holiday club - but I may use it for a half term event that the vicar and Esther arrange.   I felt instinctively that Prisiclla Jane and Tom would most enjoy playing chess.........as they say............they are NEVER too young are they?  And who will win - ahhhhhhhh........I have yet to decide THAT one!  Ben is looking on......................he has never played before so will be watching the moves with close interest.

Emily is our tomboy but we only ever see her in her Sunday best because her mother won't countenance her coming to church in her denim jeans and football shirts!  Yes - she loves to play and watch football and never misses the latest match played by her local team.  She loves to babysit Clarissa...........so she is more than happy to keep her occupied instead of involving herself with any other games the children are playing.  Clarissa too is quite happy with her teddy and toy.

Whoops.......WHAT happened there............sorry about that folks.  I sadly get so involved I forget it is not real!

I will share with you another idea I have for St. Hils.  A friend of mine suggested a cleaner for St. Hils.  Now THAT got me thinking big time.  And so....................in church terms that would mean a verger who, in some churches, also wears a robe whilst on duty and is also part of the procession at services.  In my mind I see an elderly gent called Archie........he is a little crusty but he takes a fancy to Miss Enid which could be a problem as the vicar also has already shown an interest there. 
However...........we have a problem here.................WHERE will I find dear Archie?  I do have some ideas but I best not share them...............YET! 
So even romance is not dead in St. Hils............................as I said earlier - we are never too young to play chess.......but never too old either for..........well...............anything.................
Til the next time!

1 comment:

  1. I'm hopeless at chess (don't even enjoy the game much) so can identify with your story about not knowing which pieces go where! Blame it on your continuing cold (I hope that goes away very soon). Anyway, good for the children to play the chess.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your genuine comments about my blog........any ideas for new greetings cards.........storylines......you name it I am glad to hear it!